Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Switched at Birth TV Show

Has anyone been watching Switched at Birth TV show on ABC Family show?  Even though this show is geared towards preteens and teenagers, I've been enjoying watching it mainly because the writers put in few important issues related to Deaf community and Deaf Culture.  One issue from first season brought up this topic of hearing/deaf relationships. My husband is hearing who signs fluently.  Believe me, I would not marry a man who does not sign fluently as communication is the most important thing in any kind of relationship.  Even though some Deaf people believe that a deaf person should have a relationship with another deaf person because of that "bond," I disagree on this belief. Any marriages or relationships all boils down to TRUST and COMMUNICATION. (well, chemistry too. lol)  Any marriages or relationships can work as long as the couple works hard to keep it alive regardless of their religion, politcal beliefs, and  cultural backgrounds. During last night's show, a character named Travis (I hope I was right) brought up that Daphne's boyfriend doesnt even sign well. How can you have a relationship with someone who cannot sign well and ASL is one of most important part of your life? 

On another topic that was brought up in last night's show was Travis's parents not bothering to sign.  This is the MOST common problem everywhere in the world.  That is the part I cannot ever understand.   If I was a hearing person, I would give everything in my power to learn everything what's the best for a Deaf child.  I would learn sign language to be able to communicate with my kid.  Why are there so many parents who don't bother to learn ASL?  I was glad that issue was brought up in last night's show and I hope that has hit some parents out there that they should LEARN sign language. I'm blessed to have parents who can sign. I have a very good relationship with them. 

I hope that the viewers will continue watching this great show and the writers or producers can keep bringing up all kinds of issues that the hearing world has no idea that existed.  I don't know the deaf actors but they are all doing a great job! Its important we all keep watching this show to give our support! 

No comments:

Post a Comment