Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Fear of Exercise

Fear is a strong emotion and can prevent you from doing something you want to do. Fear of exercise is pretty common these days due to several reasons.

1. Fear of pain
You can confront this fear by building up your workouts very slowly. Walk a mile. Walk a few laps. Even walking to the mailbox is a great start if you have not worked out in ages. Start with beginner level programs such as Slim in 6, Turbo Jam, etc.  Yes, you may be sore due to new muscles but they go away in time. I developed really bad shin splints when I started walking on the treadmill.  I stuck through them and I haven't had any shin splints in years.  Even one of my hip joints was in pain for several weeks after using Brazil Butt Lift and I haven't had that problem again either. Bottom line is that you have to stick with it.

2. Fear of sweating. 
I know that sounds weird to some ot you who work out on a daily basis but I happen to know someone very well who just hates to sweat. She would do anything to avoid sweating. There are a lot of performance clothes that can take your sweat and you can be comfortable. Sweat just means you are losing some of your fat so it is good news!

3. Fear of injury
This is also one of most common fears.  The key thing is to build up slowly. Start with beginner level workout programs like I said for fear of pain.  Know your limits.  If you have bad knees, modify the movements. For example, if you use Turbofire that includes a lot of jumps, you can modify by going low impact only. There is a lady in the workout program that only does low impact and you can follow her. My knees aren't the greatest so I go low impact sometimes. I used to be AFRAID to start using TurboFire. Now I'm into the last month of Turbofire and I'm glad I did not let the fear of injury control me.  Just listen to your body. I'm even ready to order Insanity-Asylum which I never thought I will buy!!!! On other note, make sure you have a good pair of tennis shoes.  Not those shoes you had for ten years. I replace mine at least every 6 months because I use them on a daily basis. Protect your feet/ankles.

Confront any of your fears and conquer them!

No comments:

Post a Comment